Irish On The Road

What started out as a cross country odyssey with a couple of gals in a Big Yellow Truck has now become a quest to find the perfect two-seater.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Vacation time, more or less...

I have been described as a "ridiculously goal oriented" person. I disagree with the term "ridiculously" but I certainly can't deny the rest of the statement. Traveling to Alaska is no exception. Oh sure, it's supposed to be a vacation and vacations are supposed to be a time when you aren't driven to achieve, but even now I have very specific goals for my time away. They are:

1. Remain completely unplugged. No internet. No news. No phone calls related to work. OnStar scoffed at the thought that I could do this. I am determined to do it, especially now that I have been scoffed at!

2. Read something for pleasure rather than for scientific or professional purposes. It has been 8 months since I have lost myself in prose or poetry. That is far too long.

3. Do less. Put less pressure on myself to be productive. Focus less on schedules -although I do have to be concerned about when to get back onboard the ship. Worry less about who needs what from me when.

4. Do More. Sit more. Sleep more. Daydream more. Walk into the world without expectations more.

Seems easy enough, doesn't it?

It is Day 1 and I'm not sure if I should unplug now or later. I decide later. I need to set out for the airport in 2 hours. I'm not completely packed. My house is in disarray and resembles a place inhabited by drunken frat boys. I need to do something about this before the housekeeper comes. Oh, and there is a crisis brewing at work that has required a lot of attention. I pull up my email. Doesn't anyone sleep at night? There are over a dozen urgent messages from students and fellow faculty. I answer them and then set my automated away message. I decide to tell people that I will be away for 2 days beyond my return date.

Somehow, it all comes together. The house gets picked up, the bags get packed, and I get myself to the airport. So far I haven't done very well at meeting my goals. I'm doing less and more in the wrong direction. I promise myself that once I am on the plane this will change. And it does. Sit more. I'm definitely sitting more! I pull out my travel pillow and prop myself against the window. Soon I am sleeping more. Somewhere over the Great Plains I pull out one of the two novels I have packed. I'm reading for pleasure! From time to time I leave my book and gaze out the window to let my mind wander. When it tries to wander over to work I bitch slap it back to other thoughts. Five hours pass and Mt. Hood and Ranier come into view. Soon I will be on the ground and I will walk in the world with few expectations.

My feet take me to a dive bar in an offbeat Seattle neighborhood. The neon sign in the Five Point Cafe and Bar window says they have been cheating tourists and drunks since 1929. Their self deprecation appeals to me. So does their menu. Since I have no expectations I can't be disappointed.

I'm definitely not disappointed. Someone in the kitchen knows what they are doing. The food is outstanding. I ask for a second glass of wine to go with my meal. The waitress smiles. "I'll have to bring the bottle to you," she says. "You have the only wine glass we own." Wow! I definitely didn't expect that. I try hard to push my expectations even lower and I am rewarded. The bottle comes to my table. It's a 3.5 ounce twist top.

The wine does it's magic. I feel my travel fatigue slipping away. I lean back and congratulate myself. It's Day 1 and I did it. I met my goals:

Sat more - check

Slept more - check

Read for pleasure - check

Daydreamed more - check

Held few expectations - check

I tell myself that I can do this. If I just keep my goals up front, I can have a great time. Is that ridiculous or what?

Stay tuned. Tomorrow I hit the high seas.